Saturday, June 25, 2016

Summer of Creative Chemistry - Week 4 Challenge

The challenge this time was to use Archival ink in your creation. After reviewing the techniques from the original Creative Chemistry 101 class, I decided to do something a little different.

A while back I had made my own stencils using some of the die cuts I had purchased. For this tag, I used the flower shapes I had from cutting Tattered Floral die cut out of stencil material.

I used a tag I had out of my stash of ones I make while trying out different techniques. I learned there is no reason to throw out one you may not like very much, because it can always become a background, under layer, or just die cut a section you do like to use as an embellishment. The technique I had originally used on this particular tag was one from the Distress Crayons Kit I had purchased at Michaels. Above you see the blue flowers that are cut from the stencil material.

I tacked them down to the tag with a little removable double-stick tape to hold them in place. Using Archival Distress Black Soot Ink (also from the Distress Crayons Kit), I then covered the tag with black ink. Using a mask to ink a solid darker color over bright background colors is sometimes called Joseph's Coat technique.

It looked something like the above (pretty ugly), until I then removed the stencil material and...

kind of like magic I have the shapes of the flowers. To bring them more into the foreground of the tag, I used Gellyroll glitter pens to edge around each flower.

I used an Idea-ology Gumdrop as the center for each flower, adheared with Ranger Glossy Accents, and also edged the tag with a see-through ribbon.

Thanks for checking out my blog.

1 comment: