Wednesday, February 26, 2014

February 12 Tags of 2014, Chalkboard Stamping Technique





Here is my February tag for 12 Tags of 2014. I used similar techniques to those on timholtz.com.  I stenciled my background in three colors of Ranger Distress Inks (Milled Lavender, Seedless Preserves, and Dusty Concord) through the Stripes stencil from the Tim Holtz stampersanonymous.com collection onto a white tag. Once I had finished, it sort of reminded me of the look of pillow ticking fabric.

The saying is Tim Holtz stampersanonymous Phrases 1 set. Rather than using the technique given (since I did not have that particular embossing powder), I tried several different ways of making it look like chalkboard writing.  The one that worked best for me was using Tsukineko Moonlight White Brilliance Ink.

Using that ink, first I stamped image on regular black cardstock. Brilliance is line of fast-drying pigment inks, so I had a brush and my chalk handy. I ran the brush over the chalk to pick up some of the powder and brushed lightly over the ink to avoid smearing. Final step was to let it dry for a minute or two, then burnish lightly with a piece of winter fleece fabric.

A stamping friend of mine had shown me that you can use Versamark ink to stamp, brush Pearl-ex powder over it, and burnish with the fleece to get a metallic looking finish to your stamped image.  So, I thought I would give the same technique a try with Brilliance ink and the chalk powder and I think it worked well for the chalkboard look.

I cut and mounted the saying onto a piece of white cardstock that was colored using the Dusty Concord Distress Ink, then frayed the edges using the Tim Holtz Tonic Studios Paper Distresser.

The stars are Grungeboard coated with glitter using the same technique as on timholtz.com.

I glued two fabric ribbons on bottom of tag and used one of the same ribbons as my tag topper.

Thanks for looking at my tag! Comments are always welcome and appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment